Thursday, March 10, 2016

Last Day in The Lord's Gym

Wednesday the 9th was my last day in The Lord's Gym. It was a bitter sweet time for me.

Som Khan, the head coach, let all the fighters know it was my last day, so we a full house. The coach said, "Clay, they are yours to train." In Khmer, coach asked them if they are ready for a hard workout? They replied in unison, "Baat (yes)."

I put them through two interval workouts. These guys are in great shape. I was happy to see that a couple of the new guys have to "tap out" near the end of the workout. The seasoned fighters looked tired but ready for more. I worked them out for about 40 minutes. When I was done, the coach took over and had them spar for another 30 minutes. These guys are tough.

When the training session was over we sat on the floor in a circle, and the coach asked me to share Jesus with them. I told them we are born in sin and God is perfect. Because God is perfectly just, we deserve punishment for our sin, which separates us from him. But, God loves us. He sent his son, Jesus to earth to pay the debt of our sin, something we could never do. Jesus' gift is our bridge to God. I asked them if they wanted to pray to accept Jesus' gift. Many of the fighters nodded their heads yes.

We closed our eyes and I lead them through the sinner's prayer.

I prayed God would give me the words to speak to these young men. He did. God has had his hand in everything we did this trip. We have been so blessed.

The gym's coaches, Som Khan and Sopaek, are there to help these young men live moral lives, and with integrity.

Som Khan told me that no other foreigner that has come to Svay Pak, to work in the gym, has invested themself into the gym as I have. I was blown away and incredibly blessed by this statement. I told him it was an honor for me because we are brothers in Christ, and I love these men.

We took a group photo. These are my boys. I wish I could take them home with me. As they left the gym they came to me, praying hands held just below the level of their nose (a sign of respect given to teachers and parents), and said thank you, "Soom ah kun neh." I retuned the gesture, "ah kun."

"Will you come back to see us again?" They asked.

"God willing, I will be back," I replied.

The Coaches

 

- Clay Cranford

 

No comments:

Post a Comment